Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Enjoy the journey!

This morning as I was taking a walk I began to notice my surroundings. I saw three women in typical African dress (a colorful kanga wrapped around them as a skirt) walking together in companionable conversation with containers on their heads. This is something I see most every day. To me it is the norm. Next I hear a man who is cutting a hedge singing. Again, another very common thing here. All around me is life happening - African style. However, it is easy to grow accustomed to things that make tourists smile and take pictures. In fact, photographers and journalists from all over the world come to take pictures and write articles on the life I don't even think twice about anymore. You see, I'm just like you. I get wrapped up in doing laundry, cleaning the house, cooking, helping my daughter with homework, going to church, etc. It is easy for me to just live and not enjoy the life God has called me to. What about you? Have you taken life for granted? Maybe the beauty of the mountains? The stars? The sound of your child giggling as he plays with the puppy? Maybe the sound of the church choir or orchestra? As the song says, we need to stop and smell the roses. So as for me, I spent some time talking to the Lord and asking Him to help me today to rejoice in the unique life He has allowed me to live in Tanzania and to not get caught up in the daily living, but to enjoy the journey!

1 comment:

  1. Love this Tammy! Yes, in fact I was just praying a similar prayer this morning. I'm finding myself more and more caught up in rushing and hurrying, but not enjoying what God has truly blessed me with. I'm also going to copy your blog post into our Praying Pilgrim newsletter for this week. Perfect timing! Love ya.

    ReplyDelete