Sunday, December 11, 2011

Teaching Pastor's Wives



This week I had the privilege of teaching at Lake Victoria Baptist College for the first time. I felt my Swahili had progressed enough to attempt teaching a class. I decided to teach about being a godly woman, with the emphasis on the role of a pastor's wife. I spent months reading over my material, studying, praying, etc. However, when the day finally arrived I felt a wave of panic. I did NOT feel ready to get up there and teach for hours and hours in Swahili! I don't know how many of you reading this have ever learned a foreign language, but let me tell you - IT'S HARD! I could feel my mind going completely blank and a dread fell on my heart. "What if I get up there and can't remember anything? What if all I can do is read what I've written down? What if those ladies walk away having not learned a thing because of my inability to communicate effectively?" All these questions and more...like "Why in the world did I agree to teach this class?!" came to my mind. So the entire drive to the college I BEGGED God to help me. "Dear Lord, I KNOW I can't do this on my own. If  you enable me to convey truth to these ladies through Swahili then I will give you all the glory."

When I arrived the ladies were excited to learn about being a pastor's wife. I started the class by telling them about myself. How old I was (important in African culture), how long I've been married, about my children, when we got into full-time ministry, etc. I went around the room and asked how long they had been pastor's wives. Several of the ladies have been in ministry for about 5+ years with two only about a year. This helped to calm my nerves as we conversed informally back and forth. Then I began teaching and the Lord helped me each step of the way. He allowed me to remember what I had studied and enabled me to teach His truths. PRAISE HIM!

Through this class the ladies are desiring a monthly Pastor's Wife meeting. They asked me to cover the same material over again, but at a slower pace that will allow more discussion and application. I'm looking forward to having more of an impact on the lives of these women as they serve the Lord in their various churches. Please pray for our first meeting which is scheduled for February 9th.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! So glad you persevered and let God use you. Isn't it wonderful to know that God uses us in spite of our shortcomings? He certainly does that with me, and it is humbling.

    Keep up the great work for our Lord!

    ReplyDelete