Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Missionary to midwife???

The Lord woke me up at 3AM on December 30th. My phone that I had been keeping by my bed wasn't there. I had forgotten it in the living room. I immediately went and checked to see if I had missed any calls - there were none. I took the phone back into the bedroom only to be awakened at 4:30AM by Joel. He hurriedly told me his wife, Lauren, was in labor.
IT WAS TIME!

I guess I should go back and explain things... Joel and Lauren are new missionaries to Tanzania. They are starting an agriculture program at the orphanage Mavuno Village. Lauren decided rather than travel all the way to Nairobi, Kenya to have her baby, she would have it here in Mwanza. They found a nice private clinic with good doctors and nurses. However, since they have only been here a few months they do not yet know Swahili. And even though the doctors and nurses speak English, it is a British English and not always easy to understand. I offered to come to the hospital and be a mediator between her and the doctors/nurses. (When I gave birth to Abigail back in 1997 there was a lovely missionary lady who did the same for me.) Joel and Lauren took this as an answer to their prayers and gratefully agreed.

Back to my story...Bill drove me to the hospital where Joel and Lauren had already arrived and she was in a room. Before I had arrived, there had already been an issue with Lauren being allowed to bring her pillow from home into her room. (You have to understand that Africans tend to live in a box. They are taught certain things and that is the way they do them. It is hard to get them to bend protocol.) That having been dealt with, we proceeded to come across other protocol issues. I won't mention here, but I will say that the Lord allowed us to work our way around them. We learn in Proverbs 15:1a - "A soft answer turneth away wrath:" As I spoke kindly to the nurse and asked her to please understand that this woman just arrived in Tanzania and would like to do things according to our customs, she softened right up and smiled graciously as she let us crazy Americans give birth our way.

I've given birth three times. People tend to look at me like I'm crazy when I say I love giving birth! I don't mean that I enjoy the pain of childbirth, but I do enjoy experiencing a miracle of God taking place. And that is exactly what childbirth is - a miracle! This time around I was not the one giving birth, but I can tell you I SAW A MIRACLE! So let me say with Mary,

"My soul doth magnify the Lord,"

No comments:

Post a Comment